Saturday, May 9, 2015

Cassettes

I finally accomplished something I've been wanting to do for a little while now: record my music to cassette. Crazy right? Aren't those things obsolete.. Nah. They're still fun to me.

Anyways... I found an old some old Victoria Secret's Classics by Request Vol. 1 by the London Symphony Orchestra and happily put little bits of tape up on the little holes on the top of the cassette so I could tape over whatever "classics" were selected for that tape.

I opened up GarageBand, plugged my mac into my stereo, pressed record on my tape deck, and pressed play in GarageBand. Then I'd listen to the song all the way through, press stop, and do it over again for the next tune. I made Side A all of my instrumental ideas and Side B various Rock'n'Roll covers like Blue Suede Shoes and Honey Don't by Carl Perkins and All My Loving by the Beatles. I also through in an original that I'm currently working on and very exited about.

The sound quality, rest assured, was almost cringe worthy. I really didn't intend to have a random vibrato effect here and there but thanks to the wonderful ingenuity of cassette tapes, the splendid "warbly" sound was indeed there.   

I mean I guess it was a success. At least for me. I got some of the girls singing along with Blue Suede Shoes after prom, so that's a win for me. When it came time that my original started playing one of them said, "I don't recognize this one..."

I said, "That's 'cause I wrote it!"

I wish there was a way for me to overdub on tape so I could create music by analog means instead of digital. There's just something about analog that captivates my attention more than digital.



No comments:

Post a Comment